Clinical study of prevalence of obesity and over weight among school going adolescents in the age group of 11-17 years of Kangra district

Jamunashree. B, G. V Kumar, Ajay Vaid, Sanjeev Chaudhary

Abstract


Introduction: According to the World Health Organization (WHO), obesity can be defined as the accumulation of body fat in an abnormal and/or excessive manner showing serious health problems. The disruption of the normal satiety feedback mechanisms, hyperinsulinism, insulin resistance and genetics are some of the biophysiological causes of obesity and overweight. Method: The present study was cross sectional school based study carried out in the department of pediatrics, DR Rajendra Prasad Government Medical College, Kangra Tanda, Himachal Pradesh. All high schools present in Block Kangra, Himachal Pradesh (HP) were enlisted and 10 schools were selected by using simple random method. Results: Out of 1300 children included in the study, 669 (51.5%) children were males and 631 (48.5%) children were females with male to female Ratio 1.1:1. Out of 1300 children 37(2.8%) were overweight and 10(0.8%) were obese, prevalence of both overweight and obesity combined was 3.6%. The number of overweight children ranged from 2 to 10 with percentage ranging from 1.1% to 5.4%. The number and percentage of obese children ranged from 0 to 4 and 0% to 2.2% respectively. In the present study 3% (20) and 1.5% (10) of males were over-weight and obese respectively. Out of 631 females 2.7% (17) and 0% (0) of females were over-weight and obese respectively. Out of 47 (3.6%) children identified either overweight or obese, 4.5% being males (30 out of 669) and 2.7% being females (17 out of 631), showed slight preponderance of males over females. Conclusion: Overweight and obesity among school-going adolescents is a crisis facing even smaller cities in India. Behaviour change communication should be focused to adolescents, especially of the affluent section, toward restricting fast food intake, and Television (TV) viewing.


Full Text:

PDF HTML

References


World health Organisation,Obesity,2013,Available from: http://www.who.int/topics/obesity/en/.

Shear cL, Freed man DS, Burke GL, harsha DW, Webber LS, Berenson GS. Secular trends of obesity in early life: the Bogalusa heart Study. Am J Public health 1988; 78:75-77.

World Health Organization, Obesity and Overweight, 2009, Available from:http://www.who.int/mediacentre/ factsheets /fs311/ en/index.html.

P. Codogno and A. J. Meijer. Autophagy: a potential link between obesity and insulin resistance. Cell Metabolism. 2010;vol 11,no. 6: 449–451.doi:10.1016/j. cmet. 2010.05.006

Park K: Park’s textbook of Preventive and Social Medicine: Banarsidas Bhanot Publishers, 18th Edition, 2005; 316-319.

Khadilkar VV, Khadilkar AV, Cole TJ, Chiplonkar SA, Pandith D. Overweight and obesity Prevelance and body mass index trends in Indian children. Int J Pediatr Obes. 2011: Jun; 6 (2-2): e216-24. doi: 10. 3109/ 17477166. 2010. 541463. Epub 2010 Dec 16.

Pednekar MS, Hakama M, Hebert JR, Gupta PC. Association of body mass index with all-cause and cause-specific mortality: findings from a prospective cohort study in Mumbai (Bombay), India. Int JEpidemiol. 2008 Jun;37(3):524-35. doi: 10.1093/ije/ dyn 001. Epub 2008 Feb 14.

Kumar S, Mahabalaraju D K, Anuroopa M S. Prevalence of obesity and its influencing factor among affluent school children of Davangere city. Indian J Community Med 2007;32:15-7.

Gupta DK, Shah P, Misra A, Bharadwaj S, Gulati S, Gupta N, Sharma R, Pandey RM, Goel K. Seculartrends in prevalence of overweight and obesity from 2006 to 2009 in urban Asian Indian adolescentsaged14-17years. PLoS One.2011 Feb 23;6(2):e17221. doi: 10.1371/ journal. pone. 0017221.

S Patnaik, L Patnaik, S Patnaik, M Hussain. Prevalence Of Overweight And Obesity In A Private School Of Orissa, India. The Internet Journal of Epidemiology. 2010 Volume 10 Number 1.

MaitiS, De D, Ali KM, Bera TK, Ghosh D, Paul S. Overweight and obesity among early adolescent school girls in urban area of west bengal, India: prevalence assessment using different reference standards. Int J Prev Med. 2013 Sep;4(9):1070-4.

Nawab T, Khan Z, Khan IM, Ansari MA. Is small town India falling into the nutritional trap of metro cities? A study in schoolgoing adolescents. J Family Med Prim Care 2016;5:581-6.

Eshwar TKM, Chudasama RK, Eshwar ST, Thakrar D. Prevalence of obesity and overweight and their comparison by three growth standards among affluent school students aged 8–18 years in Rajkot. Indian J Public Health 2017;61:51-4.


Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.